Are you a seasoned vegan (pun intended) lacking vegan lunch ideas? Or, alternatively, are you new to plant-based eating and want a simple and delicious lunch?
This easy vegan chickpea “tuna” sandwich can be made in 15 minutes or less (including the bread!) in the microwave and is super budget-friendly. Furthermore, this recipe is great for university students living in dorms or halls (who only have a microwave). Basically, it’s a perfect quick, tasty, budget-friendly lunch without much cleanup.
Growing up as a pescatarian, I ate tuna fish sandwiches a lot at school. In other words, I was totally “tuna fish girl”. I did love a good tuna sandwich! However, I do feel bad for everyone else who had to smell my sandwiches! Luckily, this version is totally plant-based and a lot less offensive smelling!
Read on for how to make this easy vegan meal!
Chickpea “Tuna” Sandwich Recipe
2 cups chickpea flour
4 tbsp vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can aquafaba
1 can of chickpeas
1/2 tsp dill
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp vegan mayo
1/4 sheet nori
1/2 tsp chives
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1. First, mix 2 cups of chickpea flour, 4 tbsp of vegetable broth, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp olive oil, and the liquid from one can of chickpeas in a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Then, combine and knead until smooth.
3. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
4. Next, mix 1 can of drained chickpeas, 1/2 tsp dill, 1/2 tsp celery seed, 1 tbsp tahini, 1 tbsp vegan mayo, 1/4 sheet of Nori, 1/2 tsp chives, and salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl.
5. Finally, mash the mixture until smooth.
6. Put the mixture on your bread and enjoy!
Like this recipe and looking for more vegan lunch ideas? Then you might also like my other recipes too!