Like most people, I love tacos, and they’re one of my go-to’s when iI’m out of vegan dinner ideas. I equally love how many different ways there are to veganize them! These ones are made from walnut “meat”—they’re high protein, packed with vegetables and, as usual, can be made completely in the microwave. They’re perfect for students looking for a healthy meal they can make in your dorm room or if you just want a healthy meal without a lot of clean up!
Walnut “Meat” Tacos
1 hour – overnight
1 cup corn flour
3 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 cup walnuts
2 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp yellow onion
1/3 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
7/8 tbsp paprika
3/4 tbsp cumin 7/8 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp salt
4 small tomatoes
1/2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
Optional additional toppings
1/4 cup canned corn
1/4 cup diced black olives
1. Mix 1 cup of corn flour with 1 cup of vegetable stock in a small bowl.
2. Cover loosely and set in fridge for 30-45 minutes.
3. Form half the mixture into a ball.
4. Spread 1/4 tbsp of vegetable oil onto a microwave-safe plate.
5. Put mixture on top of the oil and use your fist to pound into tortilla shape.
6. Spread remaining 1/4 tbsp of vegetable oil on top of the mixture.
7. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
8. Let set for at least 5 minutes before moulding into desired shape
9. Repeat for second tortilla.
1. Mix 3 small, diced tomatoes; 1 tbsp diced yellow onion; 1/2 clove diced garlic; 1/4 tbsp paprika; 1/4 tbsp cayenne pepper; 1/4 tbsp cumin; 1/4 tbsp salt; 1 tbsp fresh cilantro; and 1/4 tbsp lime juice in a bowl.
2. Mix well.
1. Mix 1/2 of a large avocado; 1 tbsp diced yellow onion; 2 tbsp fresh cilantro; 1/4 tbsp salt; 1/8 tbsp paprika; and 1/8 tbsp cayenne pepper in a bowl.
2. Mix and mash until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
1. Mix 1 cup of walnuts and 2 cups of vegetable stock in a bowl and soak overnight. Alternatively, heat stock in a microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 minute, mix in walnuts, and cover with a plate, leaving to soak for at least 1 hour.
2.Once walnuts are soft, remove from the stock and put in a separate bowl (but save the stock!).
3. Mix 1/3 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes; 1 small tomato, diced; 2 tbsp diced yellow onion; 1/2 tbsp paprika; 1/2 tbsp cumin; 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper; 1/2 tbsp salt; 1 clove of diced garlic; and 4 tbsp vegetable stock with the walnuts.
4. Mash with a fork or a hand-masher until consistency resembles ground soy.
Putting it All Together
1. Mix all the elements above in with your favourite additional toppings. We like canned corn, and black olives, for example.
2. We also recommend drizzling some of the cheese sauce from our cheesy pasta recipe for an added bonus.
Liked this recipe? Looking for more vegan dinner ideas? Check out our other recipes here.